Everything Bagel Cream Cheese Bake
Excerpted from Cravings: Hungry for More
I have felt for a long time that everything bagel spice is the bomb. But I’ve never been that into eating an entire bagel—it’s just too much dough at one time. Cutting them up into pieces and baking them with sausage and eggs though . . . That, folks, is everything.
Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 pound breakfast sausage links* (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 3 day-old everything bagels, halved and cut into big chunks 2 large tomatoes, cut into chunks
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1½ cups grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 1½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, cold, cut into 14 cubes
- Heat a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add the sausage, if using, and cook, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 12 minutes (or according to the directions on the package). Remove the sausage from the skillet, cut into 1-inch lengths, place in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-low heat, then add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden and translucent, about 9 minutes. While the onion is cooking, pile the thawed spinach into the center of a big clean kitchen towel and roll up the towel. Over a bowl or the sink, twist the ends toward each other and keep twisting until you wring out as much liquid as humanly possible. (Or make someone else do this.)
- Transfer the spinach to the bowl with the sausage and add the onion, bagel chunks, tomatoes, basil, Parm, 1 cup each of the Gruyère and cheddar, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and ½ teaspoon of the pepper. Toss it all together with your hands or a spoon. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, half-and-half, mustard, cayenne, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Grease a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with butter and arrange the bagel mixture in the dish. Pour the egg mixture over the top, pressing down on the bagels so they soak up the liquid. Nestle the cream cheese chunks in all around the pan (they can be peeking out). Cover and refrigerate for at least 1½ hours and up to 12 hours. (The longer you soak, the moister the inside will be.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Uncover the dish and sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup each Gruyère and cheddar. Bake for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350°F, and bake until the top is golden and the center is set, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- NOTE: If you want to keep this veggie, omit the sausage, increase the butter for sautéing the onions by 1 tablespoon, and add another half of a 10-ounce package of thawed frozen spinach.
Excerpted from Cravings: Hungry for More by Chrissy Teigen and Adeena Sussman
Copyright © 2018 Chrissy Teigen and Adeena Sussman
Published by Clarkson Potter®, a division of Penguin Random House Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.